Beauty sleep, it’s the real deal. While it may not have originally been rooted in science, we now know that the quality of your sleep can have a direct impact on the way you look and feel. Sleep can boost your immune system, strengthen your heart, increase productivity throughout the day, and leave your skin with a brighter, healthier glow. So, if you are looking to up your skincare routine game, there is no better place to start than getting a good night’s sleep. Here’s why you should be sleeping your way to beautiful skin.
It Does the Work for You
Dark circles, inflammation, skin texture, and fine lines all are affected by our sleep patterns. While a good night’s sleep isn’t a cure-all for these skin conditions, it will, without a doubt, put you in a good position with regards to your skin. The truth is the skin goes to work while you are sleeping, as the body regenerates skin cells, replaces dead skin cells with new ones, increases blood flow to the face, and produces collagen. On the flip side, when you are sleep deprived, your face may retain water, experience more breakouts, and look dull and dry. That’s why it’s important to take your bedtime routine seriously. Practice consistent self-care, leave work at work, eat well, drink your water, cut out the alcohol, and put away the electronics at least an hour before bed.
Nighttime Skincare Routine + Sleep = Results You Can See
The first step to building any effective skincare routine is choosing the right products for your skin type, then making sure you are using them in the right order. Finally, while your daytime skincare routine is all about protection from the sun, dirt and pollution, your nighttime routine should be all about treatment and giving your skin what it needs while you sleep. Certain products are intended specifically for overnight moisture repair to promote skin cell regeneration and a more refreshed complexion when you wake up. Try this easy nighttime skincare routine:
- Step 1: Remove all your makeup. Sleeping in your makeup is a bad idea. Not only does it cause clogged pores, but it can also result in premature aging. It can also lead to acne flare ups, and dry, red, itchy skin. Use a cleansing duo at night to best prepare your skin for sleep.
- Step 2: Apply a serum. Serums are basically where science meets nature and skincare magic happens. Highly active and more concentrated, serums are designed to improve skin tone, texture and overall health. One of our favorites? C Power. This age-fighting, super-powered vitamin C serum does it all—brightens, fights aging, gently exfoliates, and protects.
- Step 3: Moisturize. No matter what your skin type, moisturizing is one of the most important steps you can take at night. Look for a product that hydrates, plumps, and nourishes dehydrated skin with all-natural ingredients––the goal is to protect and seal in hydration.
- Step 4: Add an eye cream. It may seem like an extra step when you already are moisturizing, but remember the eyes are the first place most people show their age. Don’t neglect this delicate area, instead gently pat on a nutrient-rich eye cream designed to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, giving skin a firmer, tighter appearance while reducing puffiness.
- Step 5: Add an anti-aging treatment. Nighttime is one of the best times to add an anti-aging treatment to your routine. Consider an essential oil designed to help stimulate regeneration, visibly reduce age spots and give skin a firmer look. Essential oils are made with antioxidant-rich plant extracts and nothing else––completely pure in their formula. To use, just put 5-7 drops of oil into moist hands, rub together and smooth into clean face and neck, avoiding eye area.
Guess what else a consistent nighttime skincare routine does? It is one of the best ways to improve your sleep habits overall. Just think of it as a relaxing ritual that signals your brain to get ready for bed. It’s the ultimate act of self-care that will benefit your face all night long.