Eczema 101: What it is and How to Treat It
WHAT IS ECZEMA & WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
Atopic dermatitis, more widely known as eczema, is such a common skin condition that chances are, you’ve either heard of it or have experienced it yourself. Eczema comes about by a complex mix of factors including genetics, skin barrier function and environment. The condition is categorized by itchiness, dry skin, inflamed, red or discolored skin, rough, leathery, or scaly patches and oozing or crusting. In deeper skin tones, eczema flare-ups often look like patches that may appear darker than the rest of the skin, looking purple, ashy grey or dark brown. People with eczema use the phrase “flare-up” to describe a phase of the condition when they are experiencing one or more acute symptoms or side effects.
WHO DOES IT AFFECT?
While many people first develop eczema as children, it can develop at any point in life. Eczema can appear anywhere on the face and body. On the face, the skin around the eyes, including eyelids, can be affected. On the body, it’s usually seen on the neck, arms, back, elbows, knees, hands and feet.
HOW CAN WE TREAT IT?
For optimum results, consult with your local Pore Star esthetician for treatment options. If flare-ups persist, follow up with a dermatologist they have recommended for maximum care and control. Here’s how our Tuel Pros recommend treating your eczema at home:
TREAT YOUR FACE
- With clean hands, start with our Deep Pore Cleansing Duo that aligns with your skin type. The cleansing oil adheres and loosens the dead skin on your face, while the toner adds hydration and makes the cleansing oil water soluble. This leaves your skin ready to accept the other products in your skincare routine with the added bonus of rinsing off dead skin buildup without changing the ph.
- Once your skin is cleansed thoroughly, it’s time to apply your serums. Start with C Power Antioxidant Vitamin C Serum, which will help brighten areas that might be darkened by scarring from flare-ups.
- Follow up with our Hydrate Super Moisture Serum, which adds a huge hyaluronic acid and antioxidant boost that instantaneously penetrates the skin with much needed moisture.
- Next, use Clear It Blemish Control Gel on areas that might need a bit more attention. Clear It targets bacteria responsible for fueling breakouts, while providing an extra boost of Vitamin C in the process.
- Seal in your routine with the ultimate moisture aid. Super Soothe 2 in 1 Calming Mask works to relieve redness and inflammation not only caused by eczema, but other conditions as well.
- If you’re going outside, never forget your SPF. Too much sun exposure can exacerbate eczema and result in a flare-up.
Pro tip: For extra relief, apply our Calm Soothing Essential Oil Blend to affected areas before your moisturizer. The blend of lavender, roman chamomile and geranium provides a strong dose of vitamins and nutrients that help reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Start your body routine with our Green Clean Invigorating Body Wash. Containing the perfect trio of glycolic acid, bladderwrack seaweed and pine essential oil, this body wash is prime for naturally relieving inflammation while doing away with dead skin buildup. For added exfoliation, consider our Body Polish Exfoliation Kit, which includes Green Clean and pumice gloves.
- Next, go in with our Triple Splash 3 in 1 Body Serum while your skin is still damp. This body serum containing hyaluronic acid, eucalyptus oil and hydrolyzed protein will lock in moisture and further aid in strengthening the skin barrier.
- Lastly, lock in your routine with Botanical Blast Ultra Rich Body Lotion, which adds even more conditioning to the skin with its unique blend of antioxidants and botanical extracts. If more protection is needed, you can also use our Super Soothe 2 in 1 Calming Mask on more affected areas of the body, just as you would for your face.