Tis the season for gift giving and starting new traditions. From shopping locally, to giving the gift of shared experiences this holiday season, gifts with a purpose are kind of like a “twofer.” Get creative and gift from the heart by choosing something that will give back to your loved one, the community, or a small business. Check out our 2021 Holiday Gift Guide and find something for everyone that they will love and will also “do good” too.
Since 2010, Small Business Saturday has been helping drive shoppers to locally owned businesses across the country. And unless you’ve been living under a rock, we can bet you’ve heard the phrase “Christmas is Cancelled” thanks to supply chain issues, vaccine mandates and a variety of other challenges. But guess what? You can still get what you need by shopping locally. Beyond just needing gifts, here’s why it’s important to shop small all year long:
- Nearly 50% of what you spend locally benefits your community.
- You can find unique and creative gifts.
- A better shopping experience getting to know those that own the businesses.
- You keep local businesses open which leads to a thriving community long term.
- Consider changing where you shop, eat and work all year long by looking for non-chain alternatives.
Look for Brands that Give Back
Let your holiday shopping make a difference this year and commit to purchasing gifts that give back to a good cause. These are gifts that are as beautiful and unique as they are charitable. Whether your purchases go towards supporting the environment, youth education, fighting racism and discrimination, or ending childhood hunger, it’s easy to find something for everyone on your list while doing something good at the same time.
Trade Expensive for Experiences
If you are wanting to make some memories this holiday season, one of the best gifts you can give is time spent together. While you might be thinking this is a big-ticket item, the truth is you can find a unique experience idea that doesn’t break the bank. Here’s some of our faves:
- Book a weekend away in an offbeat place for your escape. Think glamping, pods and treehouses.
- Purchase an annual pass to a national park. Even better? Get one for all the national parks. From Joshua Tree to Yellowstone, they’ll cross all their favorites off their list in no time.
- Purchasing a Home Design Consultation is the perfect gift for someone looking to redesign a room in their home.
- Is your loved one a life-long learner? Give them a lesson in everything they’ve ever wanted to know with an all-access subscription to MasterClass.
Give Some Self-Care
Tell those in your life it’s okay to focus on self-care during the holidays and throughout the year. Since a little self-care can create habits that go a long way when it comes to our overall mental, emotional and physical wellbeing, it’s definitely the gift that keeps giving. Some ideas to pamper the mind and the body include:
- Give a gift card to a local salon. Nothing says me time like a facial or wax treatment, a hair appointment, or a massage. Plus, you will be supporting your local business owners.
- Skincare routines are one of the biggest trends to come out of the quarantine days of 2020 and show no signs of slowing down. Give the gift of skin care with the Tuel Holiday Mini Kits featuring everything from eye care kits to skincare best sellers. Owned by second generation skincare sisters, all Tuel products are plant-based, 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
- There’s a subscription box for everything these days, including bath bombs. These monthly self-care delights are one of the best ways to let your loved one soak the day away.
- The Self-Care Cookbook is, in addition to being delicious and healthy, tells the story of one plant-based chef and her personal journey. Perfect for anyone looking for a little TLC.